Building leaders and teachers in the Hockinson School District have been working together to coordinate expectations relating to virtual parent-teacher conferences and the roll-out of at-home learning. The HSD is also coordinating the equipment and platforms that will facilitate this communication and instruction.
Here is the latest information on the at-home learning program, as of Thursday, April 9:
Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences
In lieu of face-to-face parent-teacher conferences, all three Hockinson schools have been working to provide families with a kind of written student progress report. Some HSD teachers have also hosted Zoom conferences.
“This was a big undertaking by everyone,” wrote Superintendent Steve Marshall in a letter to families last month. “I appreciate the efforts of our teachers to provide you with this information and I appreciate you making the time to read it. Your awareness of your student’s current status as well as their participation in remote instruction will contribute to the success of our at-home learning model.”
Timetable for At-Home Teaching & Learning (updated)
- April 9: Weekly schedule released for HHS. Click here to view.
- April 13: First steps toward online instruction, keeping in mind that:
- Teachers of seniors might need to get out of the gates a little earlier as we are committed to ensuring that they get the content and opportunity needed to graduate.
- Everyone understands that the plan is to start small and grow in both practices as well as time expectations for students.
- Content is coordinated by grade-level or content-area teams (it is important that teachers are coming together to look at critical standards and designing work that meets those standards within the limited time frame that remains)
- The district will make every effort to distribute resources for learning to all students in a fair, balanced and equitable manner.
While the district builds up its at-home learning capacity, the goal is to keep things as simple as possible by starting small and working with tools already in place, namely:
- Email attachments
- Links to online learning resources that are appropriate for students
- Zoom video conferencing*
* Please contact your child’s teacher if you have any questions or concerns about your child using Zoom. You have the option of opting out of live video conversations.
Student Tech Services
Throughout this closure, the district’s Tech Support team will be available to assist families with app and connectivity issues related to HSD-issued iPads. Due to safety reasons and a shortage of parts, Tech Support will only be able to support iPad repairs on a case-by-case basis.
If you contact Tech Support concerning any district curriculum services such as IXL, iReady, Wonders, etc, your message will be forwarded to the appropriate staff member so they can assist you.
You can contact Tech Support by calling sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.